Turns out the wrong firmware can really screw things up!
Loaded the ms2 extra firmware on last night (it's supposed to have that anyway) and it all works a treat. Think my ecu was sent with the wrong firmware on so any updates/reloads I've done haven't helped at all.
The VE analyse works too so should save me going to a dyno as it'll set itself up close enough for now.
Should get a few hours on it tonight and get it ready for an mot.
That engine had dropped a valve on the cylinder before, seen it when I fitted the spacer gasket but it all looked to have been sorted. The clutch fibres have came loose though and there was gritty sludge in the sump. The oil in some of the galleries was a bit sludgy too.
The engine only went in to make sure my set up worked but I did want it to last a bit longer.
Been having a mock up tonight and thankfully, my spindles are smaller than the Buells! The front will go in with some different bearings, a few spacers and some clever cnc bracket for the caliper I'd imagine.
The rear needs a little more, can't get bearings to suit the wheel and spindle so some top hat spacers to centre the wheel up and fit the bearings, not sure on brake caliper mounting yet and I need to come up with a way to cush, and inset the rear sprocket. Think I've got it but we'll see how it pans out.
I think that these motors often suffer from piston to valve clearance or valve float, which leads to the problem pictured above. That means, the valves will break soon after they are slightly bent. Lightly touching the piston once is enough. I recently inspected one of these blown 1100 waterboilers with broken exhaust valve and I reached a conclusion that there was another valve in anther cylinder that was about to go, as it's valve pocket had a clear sign. That motor had about 80000 km mileage and barrels and cylinder head had never dismantled before. The guy who owned that bike had suddenly become a rev limiter man and together wit a friend they were stronger than the bike's valvetrain. As danm54 said before, his engine probably has had a dropped valve before another breakdown. Last person who put that engine together probably didn't inspect the valves too closely and used a bent valve OR the motor ran in red zone too much and too often. Another reason may be over revving after a downshift. As I read that cylinder spacer was used it probably was not danm54's fault, as this should virtualy eliminate piston to valve contact. Unfortunately, I have a friend who rides a 3 gen Yamaha R1 and he's a rev limiter man, too. Guess what - his bike blew up the same way. It only had 17k km on the clock.
When re-assembling this engine with new parts, keep your eye on clearances and make sure you have good valve springs to avoid problems. Probably not a problem with cylinder spacer or low comp pistons, but better to be aware of than blow it 2 times in a row,eh.
I'm about to build a 1146 N/A street motor with 1127 pistons, when I've got all the parts together there will be a build thread with info, I'm still thinking whether to go with stock springs, buy aftermarket or lower rpm limit...