did the rear of the engine tonight, but this time used a hair drier to cure the paint as the temp was a bit low i the shed even with my heater going. has cured real well. will be removing the cases and sump to get powder coated.
started the long road to re building, started off with lifting the engine onto the floor, laying it on its side and placing the frame over it. fitted the engine mounting plates and bolts front and rear to hold it in place and turned it back up the right way. now ready to start fitting bits so i can get it on its wheels.
It will slow down a bit now i have it up off the floor, I will be taking the cases & sump off for powder coating, and then fitting the harness and doing all the little bits that make a build interesting.
had a play around with a check of the exhaust for fit now i have the engine in.
turns out it wont go straight on!!!!!!! the header initial pipe that comes out of the head is shorter than the pipes on the other exhaust i used as a pattern, so it wont sit into the head without hitting the down tubes and cross brace. I have been round to my mate the machinist who is going to make me some longer adapters to hopefully sort it out. whilst i was playing around i also did a test fit of the oil cooler, wont take much to get it positioned correctly.
then went on to fit the newly powder coated cam cover after giving it a real good clean out to remove any loose grit left in the oil ways
last thing tonight was fitting the inlet rubbers, starter motor and generator
got a call from the paint shop, once they had finished blasting the tank and removing all the crap, they were left with this imitation of a "TEA BAG"
seems the bastards that sold it to me must have rubbed off the rust, fillered it, then gave it a coat of rattle can to hide the fact :blast so spent today trying to find another tank in reasonable condition, but this time didnt look at anything that wasnt oem paint job. have now ordered it, just a case of waiting for it to get here now! so not much done on the bike today yet, will try to get some work done tonight though! so for all of you who were thinking it was going to be sorted in a week or two...............................................................................Haha NO fucking chance
did some more to the engine, fitted some more s/steel bolts, some of the oil feed pipe fittings, the cover for the alternator, the ignition rotor cover, another mounting plate, the oil breather cap on the cam cover. and finished off with the cam oil feed lines.
What kind of swing arm are you using? I am also interested in the front end swap.
Swing arm and suspension are GSX1400 with a machined down Hornet 600 spindle bolt. Front end is from a (Can i say it on here lol) Honda CBR1000RR 07. went straight on, just needed to replace the bearings and make up a 1mm "Top hat" spacer for the top bearing.
again tonight was just a case of sorting out a few small bits. fitted the ignition switch, had to modify the top triple to get it on. found a small filter to use as an engine breather. fitted the rear wheel and rear caliper. wheel alignment seems to be off!! will have to check out a few things to make sure that i have everything assembled as it was before strip down, as wheel and chain alignment were spot on before!